Sunday 21 June 2015

Hatred Review

By: Theresa Edwards
 
Twitter: @lockrocks80
Twitch: twitch.tv/lockrocks1980.
 
Hatred is only the second game in video game history to receive an adults only (AO) rating from the ESRB, the video game ratings board in the US and Canada. This game is a killing-spree simulator with an unknown hooded man as the perpetrator of mass killings of anyone that he comes across. The character prepares to start his massacre saying, “ I just hate this world and the human worms feasting on its carcass. My whole life is just cold, bitter hatred, and I always wanted to die violently. This is the time for vengeance and no life is worth saving-and I will put in a grave as many as I can. It's time for me to kill and time for me to die. My genocide crusade.”
 
 
 
That being said, it is exactly that. I found the controls a bit difficult to maneuver but the point of the game is straight forward. Run around and kill anyone you come across. Objectives come up on the left side as you explore the map, for example, take out as many people in the house party as you can. The game suggests at the beginning to use grenades for mass killings and not to waste them on a single target. To regain health, you have to execute someone, which is done with Q. When that happens, the game zooms in and you do a “kill shot” to the person and regain some of your health pool. While exploring, the police will show up and try to take you out, so you must avoid and survive their attacks.
 
The aiming is easy enough and the shots seemed to be spot-on. The gray sheen makes the game seem more dark and ominous. It's level based and most missions are kill [x] amount of civilians and then kill [x] number of police and escape.  That being said, I found this game to be nothing but a massacre with no real skill other than trying to stay alive. I could see this as a nice stress relief and mindless play, but nothing I would spend hours on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive